1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immigration demonstrations

Discussion in 'News from the UK, Europe and the rest of the World' started by anon250913, Aug 4, 2025.

  1. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    My cholesterol levels were consitantly good under dietary control, HDL and LDL were fine I'm not even sure I should be on atorvastatin, the aspirin yeah I can accept that given my age.

    They've also recomended a beta blocker but again I'm not sure I need that my heart is slow already at night occasionally it goes a bit crazy during the day but I'd rather know why than just go on a drug.

    All a bit off topic on an immigration thread but what the hell there's hardly anyone here.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. John Surrey
    Offline

    John Surrey Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Following my CT Scan and the discovery of blockages in all three vessels a couple of weeks ago when I did my visa run... I failed my stress echo yesterday...

    Really didn't like the way it was done... told her I wanted to stop but she kept pressing me to carry on then, immediately after I'd finished... she was on at me to be admitted for angiography and a stent... didn't work on me so she tried it on my wife ffs... you cannot fly and all that bollox - it's a 30 minute trip in a De Havilland D8 from Leyte!

    Anyway, will be trying to head back to BKK for the Coronary artery angiography (CAG) and Percutaneous Coronary Intervention CAG & PCI package asap - fingers x'd.

    Anyone had it done - @PhilPensioner ?

    I'm on Crestor too @bigmac - thought it was making me better! :D
  3. bigmac
    Offline

    bigmac Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    ive been on crestor for a few years now--got my cholestrol number right down . After a meds review early this year i was put on half the dose.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    I am really not keen on getting a CAG, it's invasive and I think potentially dangerous.

    All the best with this John, as I've said to you elsewhere our conditions seem similar although the NHS didn't appear to be telling me anything was in any way serious.
  5. John Surrey
    Offline

    John Surrey Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Hmmm... I've done a bit more digging and given my high blood sugar and blockages in all three major vessels they're not likely to do that.

    The preferred path is CABG:

    upload_2026-8-22_19-55-17.png

    Yeeks !
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    Aye indeed YIKES!
  7. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    My landlord in the UK a very nice guy, is in his mid to late 70s he's had a stent done many years ago and looks exceptionally healthy.

    You'll get a one off "I'm back" on the NHS even if you have to stay with friends or family, you just need to say I'm back and I'm staying, that should get you treated with an extended visit back to the UK, I think?

    Edit: oh he had lived decades abroad but is really back UK resident again.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. John Surrey
    Offline

    John Surrey Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Thanks @oss :D
  9. PhilPensioner
    Offline

    PhilPensioner Active Member

    Nothing has ever been said about my cholesterol levels or dodgy heart (so presuming it's okay)...but,

    I'm getting lined up for another (NHS) go at 'sleeving' my Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Had another MRI done a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for more appointments/operation...but with local anesthetic this time. Costing me lots on airfares, etc...but better than being dead. ;)

    Good luck guys. :like:
  10. John Surrey
    Offline

    John Surrey Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Good your getting looked after there :like:

    Trying to see if I can wrangle something for myself... better not wait too long :D
    • Like Like x 2
  11. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    I saw my consultant last Thursday on a routine checkup on the status of my bum and let him know that the Seton had broken back at the end of July in the Philippines.

    Next thing I've got a pre-op assessment appointment for this Wednesday and this morning a call asking if I could come in at 1pm Monday instead.

    Did that and now have an appointment with the anaesthetist 1pm Tuesday, I want a spinal not a general, the first op 6 years ago was a spinal anesthetic.

    And while it's not nailed down the op should be this Friday, none of this is an indication of urgency, the surgeon is just wanting to optimise his schedule :D

    Everyone knows it broke in the Philippines, one or two nurses asked if I lived there but only out of curiosity, I said no and explained my story about trying to get my daughter over here for a holiday, no one seemed even slightly phased by my connection to a foreign country.

    I am impressed by the speed I'm being seen to on the NHS just as good treatment as I got back in 2020 when they did this operation the first time.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. PhilPensioner
    Offline

    PhilPensioner Active Member

    Good luck sir.

    I'm now booked to fly back to UK for a further 'assessment' early October.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    Thanks!

    Good luck to you too sir!

    Cheery lot anaesthetists, gave me a 1% chance of dying post op within 30 days :lol:

    I think my odds would have been better if I didn't have the 'minimal cardiovascular disease' diagnosis earlier this year, apparently when you are recovering from surgery your oxygen requirement increases because of the healing and that puts an extra strain on the heart, I suppose I should have thought of that before however getting serious internal infections every three months probably put the same or worse strain on my heart and risks sepsis as well, although that's pretty much been the story for the last 6 years anyway but with less severity than before I got the Seton installed.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    In the end, I'm not in for the op today but apparently I've passed the pre-op and I've got a firm date of October 9th admission at 7:30am and they're expecting to send me home in the evening but I should bring a bag just in case I get kept in.

    Still impressed, everything I've read says waiting lists upwards of 18 weeks but I'm getting done within 30 days of reporting a problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. John Surrey
    Offline

    John Surrey Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Good for you!

    Perhaps I can bounce this one off you:

    I've been looking at my options for my op and decided I'd be happiest having it done somewhere in the UK privately...

    I'm hesitating because if I get it done in BKK or another foreign country I can take out Medical Tourism Complications Insurance to cover any problems I might have post operation... like infection and return to ICU etc...

    However, if I go to the UK as a "tourist"... because I am a UK Citizen the insurance will not cover me... So it's looking like I could end up facing a fairly large bill if something does go wrong!

    Not to worry AI tells me... if something does go wrong you simply inform the hospital/trust you've decided to resettle in the UK and wish to be treated as an NHS patient from now on...

    Could it really be that simple ? :D
    • Like Like x 1
  16. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    It's supposed to be that simple, but I suppose it depends how long they keep you in to monitor you after the operation, the price is going to escalate quite fast though if you are in a private UK hospital won't it?
  17. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    I'll add that if you search enough on this forum you'll find posts talking about this kind of thing long ago before AI search was a thing.
    I'm not basing what I'm saying on AI but on memory of people asking this kind of question a decade or more ago and discussions on here and elsewhere.
  18. John Surrey
    Offline

    John Surrey Well-Known Member Trusted Member

    Thanks @oss (I keep changing my mind) but I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps the best/safest option for my wife/us would be to go back to the UK now... would also make my other question a bit academic :D
  19. oss
    Offline

    oss Somewhere Staff Member

    Yeah I take your point.

Share This Page